Re: RFC: Building a Shared Library

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: RFC: Building a Shared Library
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:19:48 +0200

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 09:30, Guido Draheim wrote:

Just trying to get terminology to the point, note that developers
from other platforms will most probably have known the term
"linker script", so let's expand on that knowledge without
driving away newbies.

FYI: I find the term "linker script" to be very confusing, because
gnu-ld uses the term "linker script" with a different meaning.

cf. info ld

I'd say it is similar in its meaning. Every linker uses another
linker script format, it is in no way standardized for a platform
and it may even differ from linker version to the next - unlike
object file formats or shared library binary formats. In its own
way, the libtool represents a linker using its linker script to
write up a command that actually creates the final binary.

quoting from `info ld`:
 Every link is controlled by a "linker script". This script is written
 in the linker['s] command language. [...]
 You may also use linker scripts implicitly by naming them as input
 files to the linker, as though they were files to be linked.

Of course, the actual information contained in these linker library
scripts is quite different, as they are different linker tools. 8-)

YMMV, ;-)
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)