Re: RFC: Building a Shared Library

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: RFC: Building a Shared Library
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:06:11 +0200

>>> "gd" == Guido Draheim <address@hidden> writes:

 gd> Just trying to get terminology to the point, note that developers
 gd> from other platforms will most probably have known the term
 gd> "linker script", so let's expand on that knowledge without
 gd> driving away newbies.

Hi Guido!  Thanks for your comments.

Like Ralf I find "linker script" rather confusing.  I'm not used
to think of libtool libraries as linker scripts.  I'm not
claiming it's incorrect, I'll trust you it is, yet I don't see
the need to mention it and risk a confusion.

>From the Automake point of view it doesn't matters what a *.la
file consists of: it's just a realization of the libtool library
concept.

Similarly I'm not sure we should go so deep as mentioning the
.libs/_libs directories: this is an implementation detail of
Libtool.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz