Re: 1.7.6, DIST_SUBDIRS, and distcheck

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: 1.7.6, DIST_SUBDIRS, and distcheck
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:49:20 +0200

>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Harlan> SUBDIRS= ... @MAKE_SNTP@ ...
 Harlan> DIST_SUBDIRS= $(SUBDIRS) sntp

 Harlan> and this didn't work because "make distcheck" wants to run some
targets in
 Harlan> DIST_SUBDIRS and this failed because the sntp/ subdir did not have a
 Harlan> generated Makefile.am in it.

 Harlan> At Alexandre's suggestion I added:

 Harlan> DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS= --with-sntp

I was simply pointing you at the variable you were asking for,
but I wouldn't suggest using DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS to solve
this particular issue.  One problem in your setup (regardless of
the DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS setting) is that you must make
sure --with-sntp has been used to configure the package when you
type `make dist' is run, otherwise the sntp directory had not be
configured and `make dist' will fail.  (The issue occurs twice
when you run `make distcheck', and DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS can
help you solve the second but not the first.)

In one project of mine, which embeds two conditionally built
sub-projects, I've opted to always configure *all* sub-projects,
even if they are not going to be built (in which case they are
simply omitted from SUBDIRS with a conditional).  The guarantee
that `make dist' works in all configurations matters most to me
than saving some configure-time.

[...]

 Harlan> The problem is that "sntp" is now in DIST_SUBDIRS twice.
[...]
 Harlan> I think the rule for running *clean-recursive needs to
 Harlan> "uniq" DIST_SUBDIRS.

I don't see how this can be done because the ordering in
DIST_SUBDIRS matters.  It's easier to fix your definition of
DIST_SUBDIRS so that sntp appears only once, or (better) to
avoid DIST_SUBDIRS by using conditionals.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz