Re: GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}
Date: 03 Sep 2003 22:05:49 -0400

I'm still waiting for _ANY_ kind of response here.

Doesn't anyone know or care about config.guess or config.sub anymore?

%% address@hidden writes:

  p> Hi Ben;
  p> I've been trying to build GNU make packages.  Like some of the other GNU
  p> toolkits, my "make dist" process involves a wget of the very latest
  p> config.guess and config.sub files from the ftp.gnu.org server.

  p> Unfortunately right now this doesn't work: when the ftp.gnu.org server
  p> was cracked they pulled all the source off of it until it could be
  p> verified to be correct.  Most of the content has been replaced by
  p> now, but these two files (from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config/) are still not
  p> there, so my "make dist" operations are failing :(.  I can work around
  p> this by installing older versions by hand but I'd like to see the "real
  p> stuff" available again.

  p> I checked with the GNU folks and they would like you to provide them
  p> with known-good (say, from CVS) copies of the proper versions of these
  p> files, but haven't been able to get in touch with you.

  p> Do you know anything about this?

  p> Or, does anyone on the autoconf list know how we'd go about getting the
  p> proper versions loaded onto ftp.gnu.org again?