Problem with automake/libtool creating a shared lib for testing ONLY

From: Rene Hartmann
Subject: Problem with automake/libtool creating a shared lib for testing ONLY
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:11:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have the following problem with automake/libtool:

I am writing a software which supports dynamic loading of shared libraries
using libltdl. In order to test this feature, I need to create a shared
library whose sole purpose is to be dynamically loaded by a program
run by the 'check' target, and it seems Automake doesn't support that.

If I use check_LTLIBRARIES, only static libraries are built.
What works is putting the test libraries under lib_LTLIBRARIES,
but this means that these libraries are built by 'make' and
installed by 'make install', which is not what I want.

I could add a install-exec-local target that deletes the libraries
right after they are installed, but that's rather awkward.

I was also thinking about adding target/s to Makefile.am which
build and install the library by calling libtool directly,
but it seems that this is quite complicated. I've read the automake
documentation again and again, but could not find a reasonable
solution to the problem described. Maybe someone on this list
can give me some clue.

I am using Libtool 1.5 and Automake 1.7.6.

Regards,

--
Rene´ Hartmann