automake problem/bug

From: Tom Crane
Subject: automake problem/bug
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:27:46 +0100 (BST)

From: address@hidden
Newsgroups: gnu.utils.bug

Dear All,
     I am attempting to build some KDE programs which use Gnu
autoconf/automake on Slackware Linux 9.0. It uses autoconf-2.57 and
automake-1.7. With KisocdII-0822a (see
http://kisocd.sourceforge.net/page11020205.htm) I get the following error;

address@hidden:/usr/local/kisocdII-0822a# make
cd . && aclocal
cd . && automake --foreign Makefile
aclocal.m4:473: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
autoconf/lang.m4:172: AC_LANG_RESTORE is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:473: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Regarding the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE error, I have tried all the different
permutations of AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE described in the automake
documentation for configure.in but without success.

The first few lines of the unmodified configure.in read;

AC_INIT(acinclude.m4)
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(admin)
AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM
AC_ARG_PROGRAM
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(KisoCDII, 0822a)

Is this a bug and is there a workaround?

Thanks
Tom Crane.

CCed separately to address@hidden

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.