dist target and bin_SCRIPTS

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: dist target and bin_SCRIPTS
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:10:36 +0200

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

This behaviour is a bit odd to me:

bin_SCRIPTS = my_script

will not get 'my_script' included in the dist-tarball. I needed to add a

EXTRA_DIST = my_script

as well. I couldn't find this behaviour documented anywhere, and a quick
search on Google didn't turn up anything either (might be due to my
search skills).

automake version:
automake (GNU automake) 1.7.7
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>.

autoconf version:
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

A simple example that shows the behaviour:

autoconf.ac:
AC_INIT(test, 0)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(my_script)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

dnl Create the files
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

Makefile.am:
bin_SCRIPTS = my_script

$ ./configure
config.status: creating Makefile
$ make distcheck
configure: error: cannot find sources (my_script) in ..
make: *** [distcheck] Error 1

/M

--
Magnus Therning  mailto:address@hidden
+31-40-2745179  http://pww.innersource.philips.com/magnus/

I'd doubt that it represents a threat to anything but the notion that you can
sell bad code by refusing to let anyone see what's in the box.
     -- Amy Wohl on Linux and Open Source