general understanding

From: alexander_carot
Subject: general understanding
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:58:46 +0200 (MEST)

Hi to all !

I´m trying to install a program on my machine that successfully ran under
Red Hat 7. Now I´m runnung Red Hat 9.0 and I get the following errors :

=======================================
Generating Makefiles...
=======================================

**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Running aclocal  ...
Running autoheader...
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
aclocal.m4:1380: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
autoconf/functions.m4:1277: AM_FUNC_OBSTACK is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:1380: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
Running automake --gnu  ...
Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
Running autoconf ...
aclocal.m4:1380: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
autoconf/functions.m4:1277: AM_FUNC_OBSTACK is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:1380: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
Running ./configure ...
./autogen.sh: line 146: ./configure: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

=======================================
Running Make
=======================================

make: *** Keine Targets angegeben und keine »make«-Steuerdatei gefunden..
Schluss.

Done! If there were no errors...
Run src/streambd to run streambd
See INSTRUCTIONS.TXT for further help

Can anyone tell me what´s wrong and maybe give me a brief info what autoconf
and automake are all about which I havn´t understood yet.

Thanks in advance

-- A l e x