recursive include

From: Ireneusz SZCZESNIAK
Subject: recursive include
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:24:47 -0600 (MDT)

I am writing to ask how to accomplish one thing with Automake.  In my
project I have a file named "tests/test.am" with some extra rules.  In
a directory where I want these rules to be active, I put in the
Makefile.am of this directory: "include $(top_srcdir)/tests/test.am".

The problem for me is that my rules in the file "tests/test.am" are
recursive: they "dive" into subdirectories and expect the same rules
to be present in these subdirectories.  Therefore once you use in some
Makefile.am "include $(top_srcdir)/tests/test.am", then in the
Makefile.am files in every subdirectory you also have to use "include
$(top_srcdir)/tests/test.am".

And here my question comes: is there a way to instruct Automake only
once to include $(top_srcdir)/tests/test.am in a particular
Makefile.am and in every Makefile.am that are in the subdirectories?

Also, is there a way to tell Automake to include
$(top_srcdir)/tests/test.am in every Makefile.am of the project?

Please send your response to also me, because I am not on the list.

Thank you & best,
Irek