Re: AM_CONDITIONAL not working properly, or I just don't understand :-(

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Subject: Re: AM_CONDITIONAL not working properly, or I just don't understand :-(
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:55:48 -0700

Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Argh! No wait, I am a dufus. A noinst_LTLIBRARY is always a convenience library, whereas a pkglib_LTLIBRARY is affected by configure --disable-shared etc. Even if you somehow got past the syntax problems, the semantics are all wrong anyhow.

I'm not sure I follow all of that, but OK.

The only way I can think of doing this is with an install-exec-hook that removes installed libraries if INSTALL_LIBS was not set:

    if !INSTALL_LIBS
    install-exec-hook:
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) uninstall-pkglibLTLIBRARIES
    endif

But this depends on an undocumented target. Better to put the modules in a separate dir with their own Makefile.am, and call that Makefile's uninstall rule in the same way.

Yuck... that means my users will see the libtool --mode=install messages and ldconfig runs for all 30+ modules, then they'll all get removed. For now I think I can live with the files getting installed and the users just knowing that they're not necessary for the application to be used.