defining xxx_PROGRAMS conditionally?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: defining xxx_PROGRAMS conditionally?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:29:04 -0500

I know this has been discussed before, and I don't remember seeing a good
solution.  Perhaps this has changed with automake-1.7.7...

I have a situation where I am using automake conditionals to control the
installation directory of _PROGRAMS.

In certain configurations I want them to be bin_PROGRAMS, and in others I
want them to be bootbin_PROGRAMS.

Sometimes automake-1.7.7 does not like this, and complains:

 utils/Makefile.am:30: automake does not support bin_PROGRAMS being defined
conditionally
 utils/Makefile.am:42: automake does not support bootbin_PROGRAMS being defined
conditionally

I would rather not hack around this by always installing in bin_PROGRAMS and
using the automake conditionals to override using:

 if FOO
 bindir=$(bootbindir)
 endif

(assuming that would work...)_

What other solutions are there?

One other strange thing - there are some directories where this same
situation does not cause a complaint from automake, and so far I haven't
been able to see the difference inhow I have specified things.