Re: Non-recursive make & intermediate objects

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Non-recursive make & intermediate objects
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:06:55 +1100

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 09:50, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > subdir_objects in your automake options.
> >
> > Problem is, there is a design headache that makes recursive clean fail
> > with this approach - I forget the bug #, but it's on my todo, waay down
> > there :p.
>
> Ahhh, subdir-objects.  Since this is so important to non-recursive
> makes, it would be useful if it was referenced in the "An Alternative
> Approach to Subdirectories" section of the documentation.
>
> Please move the clean bug up in the priority level.  Automake has a
> non-recursive user now. :-)

We've had them for ages - I've been using it for 2 years now in
progressive increasing sizes.... I keep meaning to get back to my
transforming include patch
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-08/msg00112.html) to make
authoring them less unpleasant.

PR 373 is the bug I was referring to on clean - it's a general race
condition.
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2003-07/msg00064.html is a
relevant email in this list archives.

> I suspect/believe that libtool will have some problems as well.

libtool has worked fine for me, with non recursive make for 2 years now.
Not to say there are not issues to find :}.

Rob