Re: 'ccache gcc' as compiler with libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: 'ccache gcc' as compiler with libtool
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:03:01 -0600 (CST)

On a related note, I learned yesterday that I can bend Automake to my
will by adding this to Makefile.am:

  LIBTOOL = @LIBTOOL@ $(LIBTOOL_TAG)

and then externally pass a tag option like

  make CXX='foo' LIBTOOL_TAG='--tag=CXX'

I believe that Automake would be more robust with Libtool 1.5 and
later if it automatically provided the --tag= option to libtool.
Many leak-check tools (and perhaps other kinds of tools) are designed
to replace the normal compiler.  Usually they invoke the same compiler
that was used by configure.  Since this causes a compiler name change,
the libtool does not work without a --tag=lang option.

Bob

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Vincent Caron wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I'm running automake 1.7.9 as packaged in Sid, and having trouble
> using 'cache gcc' as compiler. I get this error :
>
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link ccache g++  -Wall [...]
> libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
> libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'
>

>     As far as I could see, libtool extract the compiler name from the
> first non-option argument, and stop parsing from here. So it identifies
> the compiler (his internal var is base_compile) as 'ccache', and fails.
>
>     Since Libtool is not 'wrong' and I don't see good ways to change its
> command line parsing without breaking it, I chose to quote the compiler
> name in automake invocations of libtool. I hope this 3-liner patch is
> useful.

Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden