Re: Non-recursive make & maintenance issue

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Non-recursive make & maintenance issue
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:10:22 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Robert Collins wrote:

> > and substitution of existing Makefile defines (but not defines based
> > on autoconf substituted values) should also work so the following
> > should produce the same result:
> >
> >   FOO_BAR=foo/bar++
> >   $(xlate $(FOO_BAR))_SOURCES
> >
> > This would be extremely useful since it would allow a package's
> > directory organization to be re-arranged without excruciating pain.
>
> Hmm, I'd prefer to do it via the include mechanism - see my crude, but
> effective updated proof of concept - posted here a minute ago.

I like your include approach.  It helps convert existing recursive
builds into non-recursive builds with minimum pain.  However, there
are sufficient reasons to write only one Makefile (e.g. source tree is
treated as "read only", or personal preference) that both mechanisms
should be supported.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden