Re: Status of non-recursive automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Status of non-recursive automake
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:43:01 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John Darrington wrote:

> Is non-recursive currently supported in automake or is it still in
> development/ideas stage?  If it's already working, what version do I
> need, and what documentation exists?

Based on my recent experience, non-recursive builds are working very
well in the current automake release.  Use 'subdir-objects' in
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS if you want the objects to be placed at the same
relative location as the source files.  An issue with the 'clean'
target has been reported for the case where the makefile is also
recursive (SUBDIRS is used).  Objects get unnecessary funny naming in
the case where TARGET_CPPFLAGS is used but this doesn't seem to break
anything.

Since the '/' in target definitions are not "make" syntax compatible,
all the '/'s in target definitions need to be manually smashed to '_'.
This is very tedious and error prone, and is something that Automake
should fix.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden