Re: Non-recursive make & maintenance issue

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Non-recursive make & maintenance issue
Date: 09 Dec 2003 11:06:11 -0700

>>>>> "Jirka" == Jirka Hanika <address@hidden> writes:

Jirka> My view is that these (and other) problems disappear if you use a
Jirka> per-directory Makefile.am; but I also see the benefits (esp. compilation
Jirka> speed) of a non-recursive Makefile.  So the solution could be to support
Jirka> generating a single Makefile from multiple Makefile.am's in
Jirka> subdirectories.  (Just kidding.  But interested in seeing the reasons
Jirka> why this is nearly impossible.)

It isn't impossible.  I once wrote up some ideas along these lines:

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-07/msg00248.html

Obviously I never got around to implementing this :-)

Tom