Re: Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automati

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automatically set CFLAGS when make is run?
Date: 11 Dec 2003 18:43:11 -0700

>>>>> "Dalibor" == Dalibor Topic <address@hidden> writes:

Dalibor> They use make -DCHECK=1 to enable adding of special debuggin flags,
Dalibor> for example, and make -DPROF=1 to add another set of flags to enable a
Dalibor> build fro profiling.

You can always add your own targets:

    debugging:
            $(MAKE) CFLAGS='-g ...'

Then "make mostlyclean debugging" should work ok.  This isn't
completely robust in all situations -- if something in CFLAGS changes
a decision that configure makes, then you must reconfigure.  However,
the above would work fine most of the time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want?

If you've got several common ways to build something, I suggest either
building outside the source tree (so you can easily have multiple
builds with different options -- this is what I do) or using ccache.

Tom