Re: aclocal 1.8 no longer loads overridden macros

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: aclocal 1.8 no longer loads overridden macros
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:40:43 +0100

Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Andreas> With aclocal 1.8 you no longer get overridden standard
>  Andreas> autoconf macros loaded from local *.m4 files.
>  >>
>  >> I could not reproduce this (tried to redefine AC_PROG_CC
>  >> successfully).  Can you send detailed instructions?
>
> [...]
>
>  Andreas> running "aclocal -I m4" in the coreutils-5.0 source
>  Andreas> directory does not include the file m4/search-libs.m4
>  Andreas> in aclocal.m4.
>
> CC'ed Jim for this.

Thank you both.
I've just done this for coreutils:

        * search-libs.m4 (AC_SEARCH_LIBS): Remove file/macro, now that
        this replacement is no longer needed.  Besides, this macro has
        no effect with autoconf-2.58, since `undefine' in package-supplied
        .m4 files is no longer honored.  Reported by Andreas Schwab.

        Remove now-unnecessary (and unused) files.  They also used `undefine'.
        * isc-posix.m4 (AC_ISC_POSIX): Remove file.
        * getloadavg.m4 (gl_FUNC_GETLOADAVG): Remove file.
        * prereq.m4 (jm_PREREQ): Require AC_FUNC_GETLOADAVG,
        not gl_FUNC_GETLOADAVG.