Re: automake -vs- huge projects

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: automake -vs- huge projects
Date: 19 Dec 2003 00:39:05 -0500

%% Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

  tn> i think it would be cool if automake supported GNU make
  tn> specifically, creating GNUmakefile.in from GNUmakefile.am.  a
  tn> GNUmakefile.am would imply some automake option "gnu-make-only",
  tn> while automake option "gnu-make" would create both Makefile.in and
  tn> GNUmakefile.in.  those who use option "gnu-make" would need to
  tn> include GNUmakefile in configure.ac of course.

It might be cool but I doubt you'll find much support for such an idea
here.  It would at least double the amount of effort involved with
developing and maintaining automake, for no real added benefit (if you
already have a basic makefile, what's the point in having _BOTH_ that
_AND_ a GNU makefile--with the possible exception of a few special-case
situations such as the one that started this thread).