Can this be automade?

From: Martijn Ras
Subject: Can this be automade?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:01:09 +0100

Heya Folks,

I'm working on a project that has a lot of components that all reside in their own directory. Before i can make them i need to run a script to set up a bunch of links, among which are autogen.sh, configure.ac, Makefile.am and the directory containing the m4 macro files.

Following is a sample of my Makefile:

.PHONY:       MyDirectory1 MyDirectory2

all:          MyDirectory1 MyDirectory2

MyDirectory1: create_links.sh
              create_links.sh MyDirectory1
              cd MyDirectory1; ./autogen.sh ; ./configure; make

MyDirectory2: create_links.sh
              create_links.sh MyDirectory2
              cd MyDirectory2; ./autogen.sh ; ./configure; make

There's nothing to be build in the components root directory.
It's getting Makefile painful to maintain the makefile as i'm nearing 100 components, so i'd like to convert to using automake.

What's preventing me at the moment is that i seem unable to get automake configured so that i do not lose the pre-build step of setting up all the links.

Any suggestions?

Mazzel,

Martijn.