mailing list archives (Was: Re: automake -vs- huge projects)

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:46:32 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Tom> I looked into this a bit today.  One nice thing about having a patch
 Tom> list is that it records the rationale for changes somewhere... back in
 Tom> those days that sort of information was just lost.  Sigh.

I thought so, until I discovered that mailing list archives at
mail.gnu.org had been truncated on 2000-09.  I have a copy of
the archives of address@hidden of 1998-04 on my disk (it
contains a lengthy discussion about --enable-maintainer-mode)
which I downloaded from mail.gnu.org and which is not available
there anymore.

Fortunately, address@hidden has been archived at several
places.  FWIW, here is where to dig copies of old mails sent to
address@hidden:

  mail.gnu.org        2000-09 ... today
  www.geocrawler.com  1997    ... 2002
  gmane.org           2002-03 ... today
  sources.redhat.com  1999-04 ... today

For address@hidden, it worse since AFAIK, it's only
archived at mail.gnu.org and gmane.org.

address@hidden is also archived on sourceware, but the
archives start at 1999-04.  I've just discovered that
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/GNU/403/0/ seems to cover
address@hidden for 1997-2002.

address@hidden is only archived at mail.gnu.org and
gmane.org.  It is quite young so the mail.gnu.org archive is
complete, however I fear the day it will be cut.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz