Re: automake -vs- huge projects

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake -vs- huge projects
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:00:01 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> Hmmm.  What we'd need to merge are these:
>
> .c.o:
>       $(CC) -c -o $@ $<
> .c.obj:
>       $(CC) -c -o $@ `$(CYGPATH_W) $<`

[stuff removed]

> The extension is obviously not an issue, but how can we arrange the CYGPATH_W
> stuff?

An simple (but ugly) approach would be to define $(CYGPATH_W) to
'echo' when not compiling under Cygwin.

> but this is not really attractive.
>
> A related question is why we need this `cygpath -w' stuff.
> My understanding is that it is to turn special absolute
> filenames such as /cygdrive/c/foo into c:\foo
> (if this is true, then I think the first use of $(CYGPATH_W) in
> the sub/foo.obj rule is superfluous, since the file is relative)
> so that compiler that do not understand cygwin filename can work.

It seems to me that perhaps 'CYGPATH_W' is misnamed or the use is
outdated.  Cygwin and MinGW's MSYS shell environment already
automatically translate paths.  The only case where this translation
would be necessary is for a shell environment that doesn't
automatically translate paths for "native" Windows binaries, or where
the automatic path translation fails.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden