Re: fortran FC patch

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: fortran FC patch
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:49:14 +0100

>>> "Michael" == Michael R Nolta <address@hidden> writes:

 Michael> Hi,

Hi Michael,

Happy new year, and sorry for the delay.

 Michael> Here's a small patch to automake-1.8 to support the new "FC" fortran
 Michael> interface in autoconf (AC_PROG_FC,FC,FCFLAGS). Essentially I just
 Michael> copied the F77 parts and replaced F77->FC, adding a new language with
 Michael> name "fc".

 Michael> The patch is simple enough that it's probably ok, and
 Michael> it seems to work.

This looks correct to me, but the only way to ensure it will
remain so is to add a test case.  Could you write one?  See
tests/README for guidance.

Also we can't install such a new feature without a proper update
of the manual.  Finally, you should also submit a ChangeLog entry
along with your patch.  I think that's all :)
(All this is summarized on http://sources.redhat.com/automake/contribute.html)

 Michael> The one bit which I'm not sure about regards file
 Michael> extensions. I split them between "f77" and "fc",
 Michael> allocating ".f" and ".for" to the former, ".f90" and
 Michael> ".f95" to the latter. This probably breaks stuff which
 Michael> assumed ".f90" was handled by f77.

I'm not a fortran user, but I've always wondered why .f90 was
listed as an extension for F77.  Moving it away sounds sensible
to me.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz