1.8 and mkdir_p

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: 1.8 and mkdir_p
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:58:27 -0800

This change:

  - Makefiles will prefer `mkdir -p' over mkinstalldirs if it is
    available.  This selection is achieved through the Makefile
    variable $(mkdir_p) that is set by AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to either
    `mkdir -m 0755 -p --', `$(mkinstalldirs) -m 0755', or
    `$(install_sh) -m 0755 -d'.

sucks flaming red bugs.

How can one change the '-m 0755'?  I haven't found anything about this in
the docs.

I have a case where we want SGID and group-write.  In the "old days" this
was easy - the previous case simply did whatever it did and we got SGID by
default (because the parent directory was SGID) and our umask setting got us
group-write.