bug 285/distinguished install targets for ltlibraries

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: bug 285/distinguished install targets for ltlibraries
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:52:41 -0800

I'm looking for a fast fix to this problem, as it is the current sticking
point on a bunch of other changes I need to implement for a project.

I don't know if I'll have the time to implement the potential fixes
described in the bug report at this time, so I'm wondering if there may be
another way to do it for now.

Instead of:

 subdir/Makefile.am:
  if FOO
  lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
  else
  bootlib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
  endif

could I:

 subdir/Makefile.am
  noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
  if FOO
  SUBDIRS = lib
  else
  SUBDIRS = bootlib
  endif

and:

 lib/Makefile.am
  lib_LTLIBRARIES = ../libfoo.la

 bootlib/Makefile.am
  bootlib_LTLIBRARIES = ../libfoo.la

as a work around for now?

As I am stupidly tired at the moment I an not prepared to test this out.

Comments?  Is there another/better way to handle this?