Re: utility programs used during build

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: utility programs used during build
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:45:22 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Tom> Well, really it might be nice to clean up target library
 Tom> support, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a
 Tom> real need; it is pretty messy.

A simple way to support BUILD- and TARGET- compilations (and
more) could be to support per-target (I'm speaking of Makefile
targets here) compiler flags.

It can be a bit verbose, especially if the BUILD-tool mixes
several languages.  Here is an example where tool1 would be
built for BUILD, and tool2 for HOST.

  noinst_PROGRAMS = tool1 tool2
  tool1_SOURCES = tool1a.c tool1b.cc
  tool1_CC = $(CC_FOR_BUILD)