Re: utility programs used during build

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: utility programs used during build
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:26:48 +0100

>>> "Warren" == Warren Turkal <address@hidden> writes:

 Warren> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

[...]

 >> noinst_PROGRAMS = tool1 tool2
 >> tool1_SOURCES = tool1a.c tool1b.cc
 >> tool1_CC = $(CC_FOR_BUILD)
 >> tool1_CXX = $(CXX_FOR_BUILD)
 >> tool1_LD = $(CXXLD_FOR_BUILD)
 >> tool2_SOURCES = tool2.c
 >>
 >> Just a thought.

 Warren> This assumes that something sets those variables still
 Warren> (autoconf).

As far as BUILD-compilation is concerned, yes.
I don't think it can be avoided.

 Warren> Does it not make sense to have a build_PROGRAMS target
 Warren> supportted internally that just works for compiling
 Warren> these build targetted binaries? I am picturing the
 Warren> following.

 Warren> build_PROGRAMS = genkeysyms

 Warren> The build programs implies noinst, and the compile gets
 Warren> the proper options without manually overriding each var
 Warren> manually.

It's not incompatible: it suffices to see build_ as an
abbreviation for all the above.

I was just trying to find a syntax that would enable things
beyond BUILD-compilation.  A few people have asked for ways to
override the linker in the past (or maybe it was the compiler,
but I seem to recall some deception with maude_LINK).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz