Re: Calling other external Makefiles and outside Make systems

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Calling other external Makefiles and outside Make systems
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:03:56 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> > I don't understand this.  If a third-party package uses an
> > auxiliary script, say install-sh, then that third-party package
> > already contains install-sh and does not care about the parent's
> > auxdir.  Am I missing something?  What kind of adaptation do you
> > want to avoid passing AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR?
>
> Oh, yes, you're right.  braino, sorry.  This one is not about
> not changing the subpackage, but about saving space in the combined
> package.  After all, auxiliary scripts with the same name are supposed
> to be identical, right?

That would be a very poor assumption.  Scripts with the same name may
output different values.  For example, an older config.guess script
may output a different host tripplet for the same OS than a newer
config.guess, and the version of tools used in the subdirectory key
off this older host tripplet.  They would misbehave if they were
directed to use the newer config.guess.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden