pathnames containing spaces

From: James Amundson
Subject: pathnames containing spaces
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:40:37 -0600

As far as I can tell, it is impossible to get automake to work with
pathnames containing spaces. The canonical example is
        ./configure --prefix="/c/Program Files"
        make install
which will cause make to choke because install will be called with
unquoted pathnames. I don't know if there are other examples -- I have
never made it past this one.

Have I missed something, or is this a bug? It is a serious problem when
using MSYS or Cygwin.

--Jim Amundson