RE: Conditional Library Compilation

From: Drummonds, Scott B
Subject: RE: Conditional Library Compilation
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:24:27 -0800

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz [mailto:address@hidden
> Which version of Automake are you using?  What make implementation?

I'm always afraid to answer this question, because our distributed
development environment is old and impossible (for me) to update.  But,
here goes:

  1194> /usr/bin/automake --version
  automake (GNU automake) 1.4

If my issues below are a known problem with this version of automake, I
can beg for an upgrade.  If upgrading "might" fix the problem, I have no
hope.

> What are the symptoms?  (i.e., what "doesn't work" means?)

I described it more clearly in a different e-mail, but basically it is
impossible for me to build the "optional" target.  Whether
--enable-myfeature is specified on the 'configure' command-line or not,
the normal library is built and my specially-compiled version is not.

> That shouldn't matter: $(xxx) are not evaluated when they appear
> on the rhs of a `=', they are recursively expansed later when
> used in a rule.

Are you sure this is right?  If I move my "noinst_LIBRARIES += ..."
statement higher up in my Makefile everything seems to work better.
Specifically, if I place it before the library targets everything seems
to work.  But, when it is inserted in the Makefile by configure after
being wrapped by the Automake conditional, it is essentially ignored.

Scott