Re: about debian shipping multiple autoconf versions (was: HATE)

From: Warren Turkal
Subject: Re: about debian shipping multiple autoconf versions (was: HATE)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:20:59 -0600

Dirk wrote:

> and everyone else. Just look at debian they have now 3(!) different
> autoconf versions because one works better or worse than the other. If

I don't think you really understand the point of having more than one
autoconf version in the archive. Different versions work differently. There
have been incompatible changes made between the versions. In order to allow
people to still use the older version to transistion to the newer versions,
multiple versions are in the archive.

This strategy is also reflected in the way Debian packages libraries.

IMHO, autoconf has been improved in an evolutionary manner over the years.
The only think I really miss from autoconf/automake is build targetted
utility binaries on a cross-compiled build for utility binaries used during
a build. Also, there are plenty of other build configuration systems out
there if you are to uncomfortable with the autoconf system. Also, if you
think you can do a better job making a build configuration system, by all
means have at it.

wt
--
Warren Turkal