Re: [automake] Multiple Compilations of Same Library

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: [automake] Multiple Compilations of Same Library
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:32:53 +0100

>>> "sbd" == Drummonds, Scott B <address@hidden> writes:

 sbd> Hi again, all,
 sbd> I figured out a workaround to my conditional build problem yesterday and
 sbd> am now stuck on a different problem.  Given my lack of experience with
 sbd> automake, I'm hoping that one of you can help me out.

 sbd> Remember that I want to have two versions of a given library, which I'll
 sbd> call libMine.a and libMineFeature.a.  The second library uses the same
 sbd> source as the first, but compiles each source file with "-DFEATURE".
 sbd> The solution to this looks generally like this:

 sbd> libMineFeature_a_SOURCES = $(libMine_a_SOURCES)
 sbd> libMineFeature_a_CXXFLAGS = -DFEATURE

It's not clear to me whether you used this syntax to explain us
your expectations, or whether you really expected this syntax to
work with 1.4.  In the latter case, you have been reading the
wrong manual...  (the first page if the manual should mention
the version it documents).

*_CXXFLAGS variables were introduced in 1.5, and they work as
you expect, by renaming the object files.

[...]

 sbd> Obviously simplicity and generality are goals.

Upgrading seems the best way out.  Whatever it takes, it will
have to be done anyway.

There have been lots of bug fixes and new features since 1.4.
If you are going to send us a mail each time you trip over a bug
which has been fixed for years, or a feature which is not
available in 1.4, it is a problem.  If you clutter your
Makefile.ams with workarounds of all sorts, it is also a
problem.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz