Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:50:51 +0100

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why this would be a very bad idea?
>
> It is inconsistent?  The auto* tools (viz. autoconf) still
> assumes a shell that has no functions.  This makes the config
> script incredibly larger and slower than necessary.  That
> annoys me greatly, far beyond this wart.  Lobby for that change
> first!!

The configure script will be run on the user's system, whereas automake
runs on the developer's system.  You can expect that a developer upgrades
his system from time to time, but you still want to be able to configure
and build a package on an old system.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany