Re: How to reflect variables like "sysconfdir" in an executable.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How to reflect variables like "sysconfdir" in an executable.
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:33:53 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Hans Deragon wrote:

>    I am working on a project where the executable is a Python script, so no
> building is required.  However, since it has to read a configuration file,
> like /etc/<file>, my script needs to be modified so that the sysconfdir
> directory is reflected somewhere.
>
>    Are there any means with Automake such that an executable script would be
> parsed and modified with the $sysconfdir variable hardcoded so it knows where
> to read the configuration file?  Couldn't find anything for this in the doc.

This is an Autoconf issue, not Automake.  Provide a ".in" version of
your script, and then list the desired output file in configure.ac's
AC_OUTPUT() statement.

Then earlier in configure.ac:

FOO=/bar
AC_SUBST(FOO)

an in the .in file

@FOO@

will be substituted with the value of FOO.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden