Re: How to reflect variables like "sysconfdir" in an executable.

From: Hans Deragon
Subject: Re: How to reflect variables like "sysconfdir" in an executable.
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:09:19 -0500

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Hans Deragon wrote:

  I am working on a project where the executable is a Python script, so no
building is required.  However, since it has to read a configuration file,
like /etc/<file>, my script needs to be modified so that the sysconfdir
directory is reflected somewhere.

  Are there any means with Automake such that an executable script would be
parsed and modified with the $sysconfdir variable hardcoded so it knows where
to read the configuration file?  Couldn't find anything for this in the doc.

This is an Autoconf issue, not Automake.  Provide a ".in" version of
your script, and then list the desired output file in configure.ac's
AC_OUTPUT() statement.

Then earlier in configure.ac:

FOO=/bar
AC_SUBST(FOO)

an in the .in file

@FOO@

will be substituted with the value of FOO.

Bob

Thanks. It almost works. The problem is that it substitute "@datadir@" with "${prefix}/share". That is not right. ${prefix} must be expanded. Python does not understand ${prefix}. Any suggestions? In should be something like "/usr/share" in my script.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.     Open source: