Re: html texinfo install?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: html texinfo install?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:02:14 -0500

    If a format is included in the distribution, it is enabled by default.
    If a format is not included, then it is disabled by default.  If someone
    enables a format that was not distributed, then they are claiming that
    they have some development tools that are up to the task of regenerating
    the non-distributed format.

That sounds fine.

    1.  Please shorten to "html" (as is done for "ps")

I'm not sure.  By Bob's argument, `html' could be useful to stand for
any sort of HTML generation, if there is non-Texinfo documentation involved.

    2.  Please make available enable/disable macros for each output type:
        info, html, xml, ps, ...

I agree we could support all the formats (currently: info html xml
docbook ps pdf plaintext) uniformly, although I don't think I want to
propose all those variables and targets for the coding standards.  (I
see little point to ps these days, but whatever.)

I guess they would all need Automake options.  There'd be no other
practical way to enable html (say) by default, I think.

    This is more work than you were bargaining for.  :-)  I'll write up
    a texi.m4 file with the enablement config macros in it, if you're
    willing to roll it up with the other texinfo changes ...

It is up to the Autoconf maintainers, but I hope they'll accept.

Thanks.