How to handle documentation and move it in the right place.

From: Hans Deragon
Subject: How to handle documentation and move it in the right place.
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:49:19 -0500

Greetings.

I am trying to jugle with automake and rpmbuild to get an RPM built with the documentation in the proper place. I tried many things, but I never succeded to get my documentation installed where I want. When the documentation is installed in the right place using "make install", rpmbuild can't get the documentation or complains.

  Anybody has a good receipe for doings this?

I have the following defined:

nobase_pkgdata_DATA = \
  AUTHORS \
  COPYING \
  ChangeLog \
  INSTALL \
  NEWS \
  README \
  doc/apt-build.html \
  doc/apt-build.pdf \
  doc/apt-build.ps \
  doc/apt-build.txt

But this is not great, since "make install" sends this to
/tmp/apt-build/share/apt-build (--prefix==/tmp/apt-build).  Here is the content:

address@hidden ls /tmp/apt-build/share/apt-build
AUTHORS  ChangeLog  COPYING  doc/  INSTALL  NEWS  README

Now, I would like to have everything under the doc/ directory. It would be more clean. But in the source directory, I cannot move COPYING and all the other files into doc/ without having automake complaining.

Also, when I build the RPM, what should I put in %doc? When I have the following declared:

%doc
AUTHORS
COPYING
ChangeLog
INSTALL
NEWS
README
doc/apt-build.html
doc/apt-build.pdf
doc/apt-build.ps
doc/apt-build.txt

I get the following errors:

error: File must begin with "/": AUTHORS
error: File must begin with "/": COPYING
error: File must begin with "/": ChangeLog
error: File must begin with "/": INSTALL
error: File must begin with "/": NEWS
error: File must begin with "/": README
error: File must begin with "/": doc/apt-build.html
error: File must begin with "/": doc/apt-build.pdf
error: File must begin with "/": doc/apt-build.ps
error: File must begin with "/": doc/apt-build.txt

If I hardcode the paths:

%doc
/usr/share/apt-build/AUTHORS
/usr/share/apt-build/COPYING
/usr/share/apt-build/ChangeLog
/usr/share/apt-build/INSTALL
/usr/share/apt-build/NEWS
/usr/share/apt-build/README
/usr/share/apt-build/doc/apt-build.html
/usr/share/apt-build/doc/apt-build.pdf
/usr/share/apt-build/doc/apt-build.ps
/usr/share/apt-build/doc/apt-build.txt

the RPM is built, but the documentation is exactly in these directories, which is wrong since it should be under /usr/share/doc/apt-build-1.0.0. In other words, using absolute paths bypass rpmbuilds %doc settings regarding the path where the documents should be stored.

This is driving me crazy.  I wish that there was a simple syntaxe like:

AUTHORS => %{_pgkdata}/doc

for Automake and RPM to directly specify without ambiguity where the files should be moved.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.     Open source: