RE: Building the .info files in build directory.

From: Cook, Kelley (R.K.)
Subject: RE: Building the .info files in build directory.
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:23:25 -0500

> Hi,
>
> [Info files being built in source dir]
>
> > FWIW, having a read only source directory is our goal.
>
> When the source dir is readonly, noone can change the texinfo
> files. If noone can change the texinfo files, there is no need
> to rebuild the info files, so it doesn't matter that they're in
> a readonly directory.

This would work fine for distributions, but it does not apply when the goal
is to share a CVS directory which only contains the .texi files and NOT
.info files.

A specific example is GCC, I (and others) spent a significant portion of
time implementing this oft requested feature of a read-only source tree.
Numerous OS distributors are running build farms from one directory to
dozens of different targets to check compatibility.

Upgrading to automake 1.8.2 will break that new feature, unless there is an
kludge around it.

Thanks,
Kelley Cook