automake for plugins (no PROGRAMS, no LIBRARIES)

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: automake for plugins (no PROGRAMS, no LIBRARIES)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:35:20 +0200

I modify an existing program to add the opportunity to load
plugins. They will be small '.so' files (not ".a") loaded by
dlopen. The program uses automake.

Reading automake's documentation, I cannot find an easy way to use
it. The node "Programs and libraries" about primaries talk only of:

>Use the `PROGRAMS' primary for programs, `LIBRARIES' for libraries,
>and `LTLIBRARIES' for Libtool libraries

None is convenient: PROGRAMS are not compiled with the proper flags
and LIBRARIES have naming rules I disagree with (`dummy.so' is not a
standard library name").

Reading
<URL:http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2000-08/msg00015.html>,
which had no reply, it seems there is no solution in the Automake
framework.