Re: Sample Makefile.am for python

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: Sample Makefile.am for python
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:15:13 +0200

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:45:04AM -0600, Stephen Torri wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 04:29, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> This is the Makefile.am I am using in a small project.
>
>I have included the Makefile.am file for discussion. Why does automake
>use py-compile? I noticed that it installs in to the directory which
>the Makefile.am resides but so far on a Google search I find that I can
>install python scripts with a .py, .pyc and .pyo file extension.
>What do those mean.

Read [1] to find out the meaning of .py, .pyc, and .pyo, how and when
they are created. It's probably more information than you asked for :-)

I guess py-compile is used in automake to make sure that Python files
are installed as effectively as possible, i.e. byte-compiled version
(optimized) will be present after a 'make install'. It can't be left up
to the interpreter to do the byte-compilation at the first execution of
the program, since the user running it probably won't have the rights to
write in the install directory. Also, optimized versions won't be
generated unless the interpreter is invoked with '-o'.

>How does do I modify your script to install a module which would be
>imported by a script to run?

What you are looking for is slightly more regular use of the python*
variables than what I do (my example was from a program, rather than a
Python module). [2] is a link into the info pages of automake-1.7. From
what I understand you want to install your Python package in
$(pkgpythondir).

/M

1.
http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Research/CompMatSci/Multiscale/DigitalMaterial/python/Doc/tut/node43.html
2.  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/Manuals/automake-1.7.2/html_node/automake_79.html

--
Magnus Therning  mailto:address@hidden
+31-40-2745179  http://pww.innersource.philips.com/magnus/

The network is a stochastic synchronicity generator.
     -- Christopher Locke