Re: Automake 1.8.3 doesn't build?

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: Automake 1.8.3 doesn't build?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:35:33 -0400

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:08:54 -0500 (CDT), Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> > Can you apply the following manual edit to the configure script
> > (not the configure.ac file) and report if it fixes the problem?
> > In configure, find the line:
> > as_candidate_shells="$SHELL"
> > Change it to:
> > as_candidate_shells=""
> > If that resolves the problem, I will submit an appropriate patch for
> > Autoconf.
> This change resolves the problem.

I can submit a patch to autoconf-patches to make Autoconf's shell selection
more backward-compatible with earlier versions of Autoconf, however this
raises another issue. My interpretation of this thread is that Autoconf's new
shell selection behavior is exposing a latent problem with Automake;
specifically, Automake-generated makefiles do not deal with zsh in a robust
fashion. Even after patching Autoconf, it will still be possible for zsh to
be the chosen shell (it just won't be as likely), so this same problem can
continue to affect Automake. Furthermore, it does not really seem like
Autoconf's responsibility to work around a shortcoming in Automake. After
all, Autoconf has long considered zsh an acceptable shell (otherwise, those
zsh work-arounds would not be present in Autoconf), so one might expect
Automake to also consider zsh a usable shell (by employing the same zsh goop,
for instance).

-- ES