SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?

From: Gregory Sharp
Subject: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

My program uses a 3rd party library, that I include with the
distribution as a subdirectory.

I want to build the library, and statically link to it, which
works OK by including the subdirectory as SUBDIRS.  But the
problem is that "make install" also wants to install the
library, which I don't need.  Any suggestions for working
around this?  I prefer not to modify the 3rd party autoconf/make
scripts.

And a more meta-question, is there any good reference or
document about how one should include 3rd party libraries
in one's package?

Thanks!
Greg

=====