Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:03:25 -0500 (CDT)

You can use libtool's "convenience" library feature to support this.
Automake and libtool work in conjunction to build a library which is
not installed.  Unfortunately, this likely requires replacing the 3rd
party build environment.

Since Automake also supports non-recursive builds, you can create a
build environment for the 3rd party library in your own Makefile.am
without disturbing the one that the 3rd party library normally uses.

Bob