Bug in automake

From: Carlo Wood
Subject: Bug in automake
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:39:32 +0200

I tried to upgrade to automake-1.8.3 ... but the result is
that now I am using one monitor instead of two (*), so here
is a report for 1.7.9 ;)

automake-1.7.9 contains a bug in the generation of dependency
on 'Makefile.am'.  The generated Makefile.in files contain:

$(srcdir)/Makefile.in: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ Makefile.am
$(top_srcdir)/configure.ac $(ACLOCAL_M4)

This should be:

$(srcdir)/Makefile.in: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ $(srcdir)/Makefile.am
$(top_srcdir)/configure.ac $(ACLOCAL_M4)

Note the added "$(srcdir)".

Regards,

--
Carlo Wood <address@hidden>

(*) In order to upgrade to automake-1.8.3, I needed to upgrade
    autoconf too - so I installed autoconf 2.59.  As a result of
    that I got an error along the lines of 'can't locate "xyz"
    in path of "Request" blah blah (sorry, I can't recall the
    exact error anymore)... in file thisAndThat.pm'.  I didn't
    understand any of that, and there was no useful reference
    for it on Google - so I decided to upgrade perl too (.pm =
    perl module)... However, then you have to upgrade db4, and
    python, and pam, and glibc etc... so, I decided to install
    apt-get and first upgrade to fedora core 1, and if that
    succeeded to fedora development (which uses automake 1.8.3).
    After doing this - my fonts in the konsole stopped working,
    so I decided to ditch my custom KDE compilation and try the
    fedora kde rpms, something I had not done/upgraded for a
    long time because every time I did, it froze X for me...
    And yes - I got everything working but... X froze after
    10 hours running.  I upgraded my kernel and the nvidia
    drivers - but no - it still froze again after a few hours.
    In an attempt to isolate this problem I stopped using the
    nvidia drivers and started to use the 'nv' driver of XFree;
    but.. you guess, that doesn't support TwinView - result:
    I turned one monitor off and am using only a single monitor
    now because I tried to upgrade to autmake-1.8.3. QED.
    PS I am using perl-5.8.3