Re: Automake 1.8.3 doesn't build?

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: Automake 1.8.3 doesn't build?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:13:04 +0100

Hello.

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
[snip]
A suggestion was to always use `SHELL = /bin/sh' in Makefiles.
I simply don't know how correct this is, because that's how it
was in the past before Chris Provenzano changed it to what it is
now.  The reason for that change seems to have been lost.
Because Chris had a cygnus email address it could be a cygwin
singularity?  Maybe it's for systems that do not have /bin/sh?
[snip]

DJGPP's port of GNU make emulates "/bin/sh" when you put a line like "SHELL = /bin/sh" in a Makefile. That's because DOS's default shell, command.com, lacks some features when compared with most Unix shells (e.g.: stderr redirection).

Unfortunately the emulation is not good enough for some stuff (e.g.: command substitution), in which case you must use bash instead and put a line in like "SHELL = /dev/env/DJDIR/bin/bash.exe".

I doubt auto* would work on DJGPP, unless SHELL is set to DJGPP's bash.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~phekda/richdawe/ ]

"You can't evaluate a man by logic alone."
  -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", Star Trek