Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:39:40 +0200

>>> "Gregory" == Gregory Sharp <address@hidden> writes:

 Gregory> My program uses a 3rd party library, that I include with the
 Gregory> distribution as a subdirectory.

 Gregory> I want to build the library, and statically link to it, which
 Gregory> works OK by including the subdirectory as SUBDIRS.  But the
 Gregory> problem is that "make install" also wants to install the
 Gregory> library, which I don't need.  Any suggestions for working
 Gregory> around this?  I prefer not to modify the 3rd party autoconf/make
 Gregory> scripts.

I can't see any _clean_ way to do this with the current tools.
It would be nice that Automake supports noinst_SUBDIRS and
check_SUBDIRS for directories that must not be always built, or
built only for `make check', but never installed.

 Gregory> And a more meta-question, is there any good reference or
 Gregory> document about how one should include 3rd party libraries
 Gregory> in one's package?

None that I know.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz