install-sh path, differs?

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: install-sh path, differs?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:38:32 -0500

Newbe quesion:

Before creating the tarball for my project, I do the following:

autoheader
touch NEWS README AUTHORS ChangeLog
touch stamp-h
aclocal
autoconf

automake -a

Then I want to let my users do .configure ; make ; make install

But my users are complaining that "install-sh" is a symlink
and that the path to this file differs on different Linux distros.
(I have SuSE 9.0)

Does this mean that I should change "automake -a" in the above to
"automake -a -c" to actually make a copy of the file pointed to by
install-sh? Is this file independent of various versions of automake
autoconf so that the hard copy of the one on my system will work on
their's?

What is the official solution to this problem?

Thank You.

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
address@hidden                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J