issues after upgrading libtool & such

From: Jay West
Subject: issues after upgrading libtool & such
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:11:07 -0500

I recently upgraded autoconf (to 2.59), automake (to 1.8), and libtool (to
1.5) on FreeBSD 4.9. There seems to be two problems:

1) Suddenly I am getting a failure when doing a make distcheck, with files
left over after uninstall. I was not getting this on the older versions of
autoconf & friends. Specifically:

Making uninstall in ucode
 /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=uninstall rm -f
'/u1/hpemu/hpemu-0.1/_inst/lib/12901A.la'
 rm -f '/u1/hpemu/hpemu-0.1/_inst/bin/hpemu'
ERROR: files left after uninstall:
./lib/12901A.so.0
./info/dir
*** Error code 1

I am guessing the germane configuration that I have is:
lib_LTLIBRARIES = 12901A.la
12901A_la_SOURCES = 12901A.c 12901A.h
12901A_la_CPPFLAGS = @INCLTDL@ $(AM_CPPFLAGS)
12901A_la_LDFLAGS = -module

I'm not sure what is going on here. Can someone clue me into what to look
for as to why 12901A.so.0 is left hanging around? I could just add it to
distclean, but something tells me that would be covering up the problem
rather than fixing it.

2) I was always getting this other problem, even before upgrading. It's a
minor annoyance but was wondering if someone could tell me what was
happening or if it was a bug. Several times during a configure, configure is
looking for the maximum length of command line arguments. On all the times
it tests except one, it gets a numeric sensible result... but every time on
ONE of the tests, I get the following:

checking whether f77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... expr: syntax error
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok

Any thoughts on why this happens just once, and the other times this test is
performed (during the same configure session) it works?

Thanks so much for any pointers/advice!! Please copy me directly as I'm not
positive I'm still on the list.

Regards,

Jay West

---