how to address a directory as /srv

From: Richard Bos
Subject: how to address a directory as /srv
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:03:47 +0200

Hello,

I have the following challenge; install something in a directory /srv (for
apache).  I use the following code for that:

Makefile.am
-----------------
wsadmindir = $(DESTDIR)/srv/www/html/server/admin

ADDRESS_BOOK_ENTRIES = server/admin/addressbook/create_vcard.php \
        server/admin/addressbook/head.php \
        server/admin/addressbook/index.php

wsaddressbookdir   = $(wsadmindir)/addressbook
wsaddressbook_DATA = $(ADDRESS_BOOK_ENTRIES)

EXTRA_DIST += $(ADDRESS_BOOK_ENTRIES)

Now when I run the autotools the result is the following:

autoreconf -f -i
./configure
make
make distcheck

/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /srv/www/html/server/admin/addressbook
mkdir -p -- /srv/www/html/server/admin/addressbook
mkdir: cannot create directory `/srv/www/html': Permission denied
make[3]: *** [install-wsaddressbookDATA] Error 1

And if I continue with 'make DESTDIR=$PWD/blah install' the result is:
# find blah -type f
blah/tmp/server.tmp/blah/srv/www/html/server/admin/addressbook/index.php
blah/tmp/server.tmp/blah/srv/www/html/server/admin/addressbook/head.php
blah/tmp/server.tmp/blah/srv/www/html/server/admin/addressbook/create_vcard.php
blah/usr/etc/server/httpd.conf.template
blah/usr/etc/server/server_sslcert.sh
blah/usr/etc/server/cyrus.conf.template

It seems to be that I need a variable to determine "/" with respect to DESTDIR
and make's argument.  Is such variable present.  I think so as variables such
as prefix, localstatedir, etc are working correctly.

--
Thanks in advance,

Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless