Re: libtool verbosity

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool verbosity
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:22:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Albert Chin wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:24:49AM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >
> > > I was expecting this sort of answer, but was hoping that then I would
> > > also get a pointer to how else to possibly achieve the same thing.
> >
> > For the package I support, I added a configure option to enable
> > verbose libtool output.  Libtool is executed in silent mode by default
> > since it is assumed that maintainers/porters are the only ones who
> > really need the extra information.
>
> Why would anyone want silent output? Surely someone building your tool
> would be interested in errors during a build, rather than rebuilding
> from scratch to find out what went wrong?

Errors are certainly printed.  What is not printed are the steps that
libtool is taking to perform the requested commands. The result is 1/4
to 1/3 the output while building.

If libtool should happen to fail (gasp!) then it is useful for it to
print everything it is doing.  Luckily libtool rarely fails these days
so verbose output is perhaps best left for people developing/debugging
libtool.

If you *really* want to know what is going on, then I suggest that you
always add -vH to CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS so that the compiler can tell
you exactly what it is doing. :-)

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden